Differences from geth
GoQuorum is a lightweight fork of geth to take advantage of the R&D within the Ethereum community. GoQuorum is updated as geth releases occur.
GoQuorum includes the following modifications to geth:
- Consensus is achieved with the Raft or Istanbul BFT consensus algorithms instead of Proof-of-Work.
- The P2P layer is modified to only allow connections between permissioned nodes.
- The block generation logic is modified to replace the
global state rootcheck with a
global public state rootcheck.
- The block validation logic is modified to replace the ‘global state root’ in the block header with the ‘global public state root’
- The State Patricia trie has been split into two: a public state trie and a private state trie.
- Block validation logic is modified to handle private transactions.
- Transaction creation is modified to allow for transaction data to be replaced by encrypted hashes to preserve private data where required.
- The pricing of gas is removed. Gas itself remains.